Thursday, February 2, 2006

Betrayal

In the summer you write me a letter
about the smell of porch wood in the sun.
In the winter
you and I
stand in the blistering cold
and sing a duet at a bus stop.

When winter comes again
you say
“I don’t like to sing with you
and I never have.”
I ask myself
could it possibly have been you
who noticed the smell of wood?

I don’t believe you exist.
I don’t believe you have ever existed.
The porch-wood you.

I tell you this.
Do you have an opinion?

The phone rings.
You’ll tell me your opinion later.

It’s later
and you have found me in my room.
I ask silently,
What is your opinion?

You offer me a pack of unwanted
yellow flowery tissues.
Is it a peace offering?
I don’t want them
but would rather take them than waste them.
You know this and
sneer at me for it.
Not a peace offering, then.

What just happened? asks my roommate.
Laughter rips through me like retching.
Violent,
unexpected,
unwelcome,
unquenchable.

It’s later still.
A spider jumps into my life like an
unmet deadline.
I leap away and stand back breathing hard, wielding a
yellow flowery tissue,
this my bayonet against my harmless opponent.
How silly;
and yet I can’t let him go,
can’t let him inhabit my bed like a
forgotten errand,
lurking at the margins
unseen but at times suddenly
urgent.

I lunge and hold my breath,
willing myself absent for the moment of death.
But even though I hold my breath and close my eyes,
I am still far too present at the moment when
a tiny spider infrastructure
fractures under my thumb.
The crunch,
like a bite,
makes me jump and shiver.

I am shuddering. But I
revel in the
fate of your
yellow flowery tissue.
How quivery it looks now,
faux forty-cent optimism
lined with something dead and
leggy.

How crystalline.

No comments:

Post a Comment