Sunday, February 12, 2017

Trump is not Hitler

I was concerned about this before the election and my friend just pointed it out again too, and I still agree. Guys, Trump is not Hitler. ICE raids are not SS raids. I'm not saying this because I think the Holocaust was exceptional and has to be held up as the greatest genocide of all time, and I'm also not saying this because I don't think that what's happening now is bad (or because I'm not aware that part of what's happening now is a rise in anti-Semitism). I'm saying this because, until six months ago (apparently), there was a widespread awareness/principle that every social justice issue is different and analogies need to be used sparingly and with caution. Usually, the concern is about not appropriating other people's struggles, because bad things are already bad without being named as being "bad in the same way as some other bad thing." In this case, I think the issue is that white people need to be able to care about the fate of people of color without getting there via an analogy to a genocide directed against white people (people who in the American context can, in general, pass as / are considered to be white today). Trump is bad. ICE raids are bad. Can we just look at their inherent badness without trying to rev up our capacity for empathy by talking incessantly about the Holocaust?

Bonus:  A passage from דער בלוטיקער שפּאַס (by Sholem-Aleichem) in which he describes pre-revolutionary Russia's equivalent of an ICE raid (unfortunately I forgot to make a note of the page number):

No comments:

Post a Comment